The December 2022 free public meeting of Chicago Society for Space Studies (CSSS) will feature CSSS Vice President Larry Boyle giving his 2022 Space Year in Review presentation. This has been a decades-long tradition for CSSS and had consisted of, until COVID, both the year in space presentation and a Christmas party with food, drink, and prizes. This year’s event will consist of the year in space presentation and a open discussion to follow the presentation.
In the 2022 Space Year in Review presentation, CSSS VP Larry Boyle provides an overview of the major space activities that occurred around the world during 2022. In addition to covering global commercial space activities, the various national space programs of the United States, the European Space Agency (ESA), China, Russia, and others are addressed. Some of the major space events of 2022 are:
- the first science images and data from the James Webb Space Telescope
- the launch of the Axiom-1 mission with the first all-private crew to ISS aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket
- continued launching by China of missions to complete the Tiangong space station
- the launch of NASA’s Capstone mission aboard a Rocket Lab Electron rocket
- the multiple delays of the launch of the NASA Artemis 1 mission atop the Space Launch System (SLS)
- the launch of South Korea’s first moon mission – the Pathfinder Lunar Orbiter (KPLO), aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket
- a Juno mission flyby of Jupiter’s moon Europa
- continued development and possible first orbital launch of the SpaceX Starship
- the successful impact and orbital alteration of the asteroid Dimorphos by the DART (Double Asteroid Redirection Test) mission
For information about these and other significant space events of 2022, be sure to attend the December 4 meeting of the Chicago Society for Space Studies at the Schaumburg Library. This meeting is free and open to the public and all are welcome.
2022 Space Year in Review Meeting Details
|Date:||Sunday, December 4, 2022|
|Time:||1:00 PM to 2:00 PM|
|Location:||Rasmussen South meeting room (on the 2nd Floor),
Schaumburg Township District Library
130 South Roselle Road, Schaumburg, IL
Link to Google Maps for Schaumburg Library Location
NOTE: The library opens at Noon on Sundays.
|Description:||The 2022 Space Year in Review presentation is given by CSSS Vice President Larry Boyle. The presentation starts at 1:00pm and will be followed by general discussion. The library opens at 12:00 noon and all are encouraged to arrive before the start of the presentation. This program is free and open to the public.|